and I'm working on an update of that based on some new ideas I have. stay tuned. (but don't hold your breath, not these days...)

FWIW, I vote for storing it in a database. By using MyISAM files and splitting on listname/time, you can build lots of smaller files and use merge tables to dynamically throw them together as needed, without building really bloody huge tables. a nice compromise, but you get all sorts of fun stuff that way, easy dynamic indexing, some usable search engine stuff, etc....