On Dec 26, 2014, at 08:48 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2014, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>
>> This also means that mailman 3 will pretty much only not work on
>> server-oriented distro (except probably Debian that likely ships a python 3
>> version, although not being involved in Debian, I do not know for sure).

It looks like the latest Fedora has Python 3.4, though I'm not sure what
version is available in the latest RedHat.  Don't RH/Fedora users have
something called Software Collections that can provide Python 3.4 even on
older versions?

>Debian Wheezy(aka Stable) ships Python3, but it's Python 3.2.3, and IIRC,
>Barry said Mailman3 now needs Python 3.4 in order to be fully supported.
>
>FWIW, Debian Jessy (aka Testing/Frozen?) has Python 3.4.2.

Yep, Jessie will have 3.4, and Ubuntu has had it since Trusty Tahr (14.04
LTS).  I don't know about other distros.

There's always an intricate version dance we play, but I really think 3.4 is
the best base Python version to support.  I would be open to merge proposals
that help make it possible to run MM3 on older versions of Python 3 (but for
sure nothing before 3.2), however everything that I run already has 3.4.
Python 3.4 is 9 months old now and has seen two point releases, so while it
make take some time for some distros to catch up, I think the release is
plenty mature to use as a baseline.

Cheers,
-Barry