On 03/11/2015 05:06 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 3/11/15 1:51 AM, Aanand Shekhar Roy wrote:

>> What we can do, instead of having subject header for thread, we can look
>> upto in-reply-to header , if the msg has no in-reply-to header then we
>> can
>
> One point, there are TWO threading headings. In-Reply-To and References,
> and differing user agents will use one or the other, both or neither, so
> as a base, you will need to look for both of these.

And, it's up to the user and the user's MUA to add/update these headers
and some don't so you can't rely on them to determine whether or not a
message is a reply to any other particular message.

Also, users often hijack threads by starting a new, unrelated thread as
a reply to a message in an existing thread.

In short, relying on something which is basically under control of the
user to determine whether or not the user's post will be throttled will
just encourage users to find ways around it.

Case in point. I once tried to determine how much of a post to a
discussion list was original material and how much was quoted from prior
posts. The goal was to stop people from quoting entire messages when
they were only replying to one small point or where the quote might even
be completely unnecessary to establish the context of the reply. I tried
to determine how much was quoted and how much was new and had an
algorithm for determining whether there was too much quoting and held or
rejected the post. A few people almost immediately started gaming the
system by adding a bunch of "new" nonsense to there posts or altering
their posts so quoted material wouldn't be recognized as such.

The irony is that rather than simply deleting irrelevant quoted
material, they went to extra trouble to ensure it would be accepted.