To the students and mentors,

I've written the following on several students' proposals, but think
it's useful to make them public, and I've learned some things since
writing them.

A couple of students have provided links to mockups of user interfaces
and so on.  I think it's useful to provide a mockup as a linked
object, but you need to provide verifiable documentation of its
content such as the commit ID in a git repo so that we can confirm you
don't change it after the deadline date.  Also, it's possible to
inline images in the proposal (I couldn't access the source so I'm not
sure how, but several students have figured out how :-).

A major problem with all proposals is lack of good "milestones".  A
*milestone* is a precise description of the completion of a task which
can be verified objectively.  Exactly how to phrase milestones depends
on many things.  In many cases, something like "design document
committed to repo, submitted to and approved by mentor" (ie,
verification by another person) is appropriate.  Or, in the case where
a bunch of input functions have been coded, "valid input documented
and validation functions implemented for all input fields" is
something you can check yourself.  Without "sharp" milestones, it's
hard to determine whether you are keeping to your proposed schedule,
or if you are leaving "10%" to be done later.

Writing good milestones is hard.  Many professionals can't (or don't
bother).  But you will find it very useful when making proposals in
your work, or later when managing others in larger projects.  Now is a
good time to start.

Steve