Sent this email to Aurélien's personal email by mistake the first time
(sorry Aurélien!). I'll get used to the mailing list evenually....

> There's always been demand for a way to download a list archive as an
mbox file

This is a feature I am interested in pursuing. From a very (very) high
level, the process of creating an mbox file out a list archive should
entail:

1) Determine which messages to include in the mbox.
    An entire list archive is clearly one choice, but is there also
interest in generating mbox files for specific threads, list archieves
between specific dates, etc.?
2) For each message, append plaintext to mbox file.
    Is this the part where we risk "blocking the UI"? Certainly for
hundreds of thousands of messages, this will be a computationally intensive
step, so will this have to be run in a separate thread?
3) Present mbox file to user for download.
    I'm hoping this is a trivial step, but I'm not sure about some of the
specifics. For example, is Hyperkitty only able to run on apache, or is the
choice of web server entirely up to the web admin? How we ultimately serve
the file will depend on these details.

Aurélien, just because I'm new to the codebase, what are the challenges you
see in implementing this feature? Whatever details you can give me will
help me set my milestones.

Thanks,
David