On 05/27/2015 04:17 PM, bill.co...@unh.edu wrote:

>     While I am an experienced programmer, with extensive Perl and
>     Bash experience, I'm totally new to the Python ecosystem so
>     I'm not familiar with things like `pip`, `bz`, and
>     Virtualenv.  So my first question is --- am I'm crazy to try
>     and jump into MM3 for a production system at this stage of
>     its development?

A tough question. How adventuresome are you?

There is a big advantage for you in going straight to MM 3 and that is
you won't miss those MM 2.1 features that haven't yet been implemented
in MM 3. ;)

I hesitate to advise you on a path here. There are pro and con arguments
for both, but I *think* if I were in your place, I would at least try MM3.

> To help me install MM3 I'm using the following two resources:
>
>   https://mailman-bundler.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>   http://wiki.list.org/HyperKitty/DevelopmentSetupGuide
>
> So far I have successfully installed both Python 2.6 and 3.4 and
> upgraded to the latest version of `pip`
>
>   pip 7.0.1 from /usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages (python 3.4)
>
> It looks like the next thing I need to install GNU Bazaar.  I
> thought I could do it with `pip`, but ran into a problem and
> Google is of limited help to me.  (Install Cython? Pyrex??)
>
> Any help, about this specific problem, or the wisdom of my
> jumping onto the MM3 wagon in general, would be appreciated.

I'm not sure about the pip issue, but how about yum? See
<http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/DistroDownloads#CentOS.2FRHEL>