In "bounce.py"  in "mailman/src/mailman/runners"

There is a comment in line 75 of this file states---------
The addresses will come back from flufl.bounce as bytes/8-bit strings, but we
must store them as unicodes in the database.  Assume utf-8 encoding, but be
cautious.

Reply by Mark Sapiro
>There are two kinds of bounces. There are failures in SMTP delivery from
>Mailman to the MTA. These are all handled by the outgoing runner. 5xx
>permanent failures are registered as bounces and 4xx temporary failures are
>retried. The other kind are DSNs of some type returned to a LIST-bounces
>address. These are processed by flufl.bounce
><https://gitlab.com/warsaw/flufl.bounce/> which determines whether the failure
>is temporary or permanent and reports that to the bounce runner.

Since there are two types of bounces. What is the return format of the first
type ( failures  in SMTP )?
Do we need some encoding to their response also?