Mark Sapiro writes:

 > is on Mailman 2.1.29. The default message footer separator was changed
 > from "_______________________________________________" to "-- " as of
 > Mailman 2.1.24

Why did we do that?  RFC 3676 doesn't standardize the practice, as far
as I can tell.  It simply mentions the convention and advises how to
detect it properly (no requirements language for generators except
that a line containing only "-- " must not end a paragraph when
format=flowed is active).

It's not obvious to me that that was a good idea.  Maybe it's better
to distinguish the list's "signature" from a poster's signature by
using a different separator.  In particular, if Ale wants to keep
poster signatures, he has to keep track of which lists don't use
footers.  Maybe he doesn't, and the question is moot for this thread.
But there is a potential for annoyance there.

If it makes sense, shouldn't we do it for Mailman 3 too?

Steve