Richard Damon writes:
 > On 1/30/21 9:40 PM, Sam Kuper wrote:

 > > All I am advocating is that:

 > > 2.  Footer separators should be distinguishable from likely body
 > >     text, and should not be excessively long.

 > The problem is that the current Footer separator fails point 2 if
 > 'likely' is interpreted as to by likely enough for a program to
 > algorithmically trim a post based on it. In particular it looks like
 > markdown code.

Really?  I can't recall ever seeing a long line of underscores in the
wild -- except in my (accidentally) rms-baiting .sig (see below).

I don't have a strong opinion on this, myself (that's why I
asked).  But it's quite clear from RFC 3676 that there are tools that
handle .signatures specially, and I'm not sure that they're all
strippers.  For example, they could be tools to extract contact
information, in which case the naive implementation (go to EOF, back
up to .sig separator, parse) would fail or even corrupt data if list
footers use the "-- " convention.  The fact that the RFC goes to the
trouble of special-casing the .sig separator (it's specifically NOT
format=flowed even if that is specified, and not subject to stuffing,
DelSp, etc.) strongly suggests that there are a lot of naive tools out
there.

 > The key aspect is that before MUA developers can really try to implement
 > it as built in, the code needs to be reserved well enough that you won't
 > find it occuring in the wild.

A slightly more precise spec than Sam's such as exactly 72 underscores
followed by exactly one SPC (or even HT) should be unlkely to occur
even in markdown.

 > I would say I am not being defeatist, but practical. The key factor
 > here is that to implement your goal, you will need to get an RFC
 > established

Not the way IETF works.  Almost certainly[1] this convention would be
considered "not wire protocol" and therefore not in scope for IETF,
except perhaps for an update to 3676 giving the footer separator the
same treatment as the .sig separator (and that assumes my suggestion
were adopted).  If the distinction is desired by users, having Mailman
document it, and IWBNI other MLMs adopted it, that would be enough.
No RFC needed, really.

 > And, it that use case important enough that it not only 'pays' for the
 > work in creating a new RFC and getting it implemented, but also for the
 > loss of footer trimming that happens because some people are still using
 > MUAs that do the signature removal but haven't added the footer
 > removal.

I don't consider that a big loss if we switch back.  Given the
prevalence of top-posting nowadays, I doubt anybody cares about .sig
stripping except us Boomers (and Mark, who is honorary Greatest
Generation no matter his age :-).  Especially since "-- " has only
been the footer separator since June 2017.  I doubt many users will
have noticed (either way).

Steve

Footnotes:
[1]  In IETF mail standardization, all we can be certain of is
uncertainty itself.