On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 07:40:17PM +0100, Thomas Hochstein wrote:
> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:
>> Why did we do that?
>
> Because it makes sense. The message footer is identical to a signature
> in every respect:

Ah, no.  It is not.

> [..] It doesn't matter if such a footer or signature is added by the
> poster, by the mail client or server (for example in a corporate
> setting) or by a mailing list manager.

Actually yes, it does.

Here are some use-cases that depend on being able to distinguish between
a signature added by the sender, and a footer added by a mailing list.

- A recipient may wish, in the mail-reading interface of their MUA, to
  hide mailing list footers (once you've seen one, you've seen them all,
  at least for any given ML), while still displaying user signatures
  (which can be diverse and interesting).

- A milter designed to *selectively* strip or otherwise process
  signatures, ML footers, or both.

- Email corpus researchers wishing to selectively analyse signatures or
  ML footers.

>> It's not obvious to me that that was a good idea.  Maybe it's better
>> to distinguish the list's "signature" from a poster's signature by
>> using a different separator.
>
> Why?

Because they are not the same thing.

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.