-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed
Wilts
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 6:19 PM
To: Mike Kercher
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Variations of email addresses

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 03:58:59PM -0500, Mike Kercher wrote:
> Actually, it makes perfect sense.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] is an alias.
> SuSE OpenExchange creates such aliases by default for users.  The
> simple way around this (for the admin) is to explicitly allow
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] to post to the list.  This way, you don't open the
> whole list up to spammers.  You could also unsub some.user@ and then
> subscribe sname@  Hopefully, it would be a rare occasion that you'd
> have to do this.

> The proper approach to this is to rewrite the From address on the outbound
address as well as aliasing the inbound.   > If the outbound e-mail is
some.user@, then all will work properly.  Allowing e-mail into the box to be
consistently    > different than e-mail out of the box is a misconfiguration
to me.

> There is no way for Mailman to know that the 2 addresses are equivalent
unless somebody goes in there and manually    >updates the permissions list.

> --
> Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I disagree on your first point.  I don't see it as being a misconfiguration.
I see it a method of NOT exposing a username.  I have many servers with
email aliases that eventually get routed to me, but I don't have an email
account anywhere named [EMAIL PROTECTED]  That doesn't mean I can't
reply to an email sent to that address...but any reply would not come from
postmaster@

I do agree with your second statement...there is no way for Mailman to know,
which is why I said to make one of the suggested changes above.

Mike