Hi Steve. Thank you for your email, it is well researched and conveys your point of view.

Your points on inconsistency in protecting email addresses in the archives are interesting. Also, I am no lover of spammers.

That said, can you break down your suggestions to those relevant to the inherent FUBAR state of SMTP, mailing list administration choices and policies, and mailman? I don't see how you can prevent a person or bot from subscribing to an open mailing list and harvesting it.

Some locking down is not possible, some not wanted, and some not necessary. I find, as I mentioned, the archives point for example very interesting, if anyone was willing to spend the time on making it happen.

        Gadi.