Mark, thank you very much for your help, which got me on the right track.
Indeed, the problem is that iPad photos, even when they are taken with a
portrait orientation, always carry Exif data that claim a landcape orientation.
 Web browsers and many mail clients orient pictures according to the Exif
information.  So, to make a long story short, if I remove the incorrect Exif
orientation-info from those pictures before sending them to Mailman, they
display correctly after scrubbing.

Thanks again,
-malgosia