This reply mechanism is driving me a little weird--the reply function
sends the messages to their individual authors, not the list. I hope
I'm not breeching etiquette by redirecting my reply to the list.

Thanks, Mark, for your cogent and complete reply.

The short answer and good thing about all of this is, the new system
is supposed to be an as-near-100% replica as is possible of the old
system, just everything re-installed and new, just keeping the old
data. The new system already has the same identity and nameserver info
as the old, the idea being to move data and other applications (which
is already underway) and then switch the DNS records after the new
environment has been thoroughly tested. I'll check the wiki's you
mentioned and report on progress when done.