On 08/03/2017 07:15 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
> Is there a way to control the From value when it gets munged so we pass
> DMARC?

There's no configuration for it, but it's a simple patch. The exact
patch depends on what version you have. In Mailman 2.1.18, the code is
around line 133 and is

>         change_header('From',
>                       formataddr(('%s via %s' % (realname, mlist.real_name),
>                                  mlist.GetListEmail())),
>                       mlist, msg, msgdata)

In 2.1.24 it is around line 187 and is

>         change_header('From',
>                       formataddr((dn, mlist.GetListEmail())),
>                       mlist, msg, msgdata)

To make the address be the list-request address for example, you'd
change mlist.GetListEmail() to mlist.getListAddress('request').

I suspect that this would cause other issues. In spite of the fact that
there will always be a Reply-To: header with some value, there will be
some user's MUAs that will include the From: address in a 'reply' or
'reply-all'. This may or may not be a problem depending on the exact
content of the reply, the setting of DISCARD_MESSAGE_WITH_NO_COMMAND
(defaults to Yes), and whether the MUA addresses the reply to the
desired addresses in addition to From:.