On 6/20/20 4:39 PM, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> Am 20.06.20 um 19:37 schrieb Mark Sapiro:
>> On 6/20/20 5:52 AM, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> yesterday, I member tried multiple times to send a to a list, from a
>>> roundcube webmailer which is running on the same host as mailman itself.
>>> The message is in plain text without any attachments, no HTML either.
>>> Yet it was silently discarded by mailman. In /var/log/mailman/vette I
>>> find the message
>>>
>>> Jun 19 21:02:42 2020 (14835) Message discarded, msgid: <************@***>'
>>>         list: ******,
>>>         handler: SpamDetect
>> There are 3 reasons why SpamDetect can discard a message.
>>
>> 1) (not likely) The message contains a header with value matching a
>> header/regexp combination in mm_cfg.KNOWN_SPAMMERS which is empty by
>> default.
>>
>> 2) The message is from a sender in a domain publishing a DMARC policy of
>> reject or possibly quarantine and the list's Privacy options... ->
>> Sender filters -> dmarc_moderation_action is Discard.
> Thanks, Marc, a lot for the explanation!!! Very helpful!! Now, for the
> messages that got rejected, none of the three reasons apply. However, in
> /var/log/mailman/error, I see the message I wrote about " DNSException:
> Unable to query DMARC policy for *** (_dmarc.***.org). The DNS operation
> timed out." with both the time and sender address matching the rejected
> message. So could it be that mailman treats a failed DMARC DNS query as
> if the domain in question had set its DMARC policy to "reject" or
> "quarantine"?
>
> And in our case, I feel that disabling this kind of checks altogether
> would make sense, given that all mail is parsed by rspamd before it is
> handed over to mailman. rspamd does an outstanding job, therefore, I
> don't think that there is a need for mailman to parse messages for spam.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Johannes

Marc can confirm, but I do believe that a failed DNS Query is treated as
if the policy was reject, on the theory that it is better to mitigate in
error than to not mitigate in error.

Having a policy of discard would make that assumption not so good (it is
probably more common to munge or wrap)

--
Richard Damon