On 10/24/20 3:10 PM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> I am getting this error:
>
> <cufsalumni@localhost.localdomain> (expanded from <cufsalumni@localhost>):
>     Command died with status 2: "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post
>     cufsalumni". Command output: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the
>     mail wrapper script to be executed as group "nobody", but the system's
> mail
>     server executed the mail script as group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail
>     server to run the script as group "nobody", or re-run configure,
> providing
>     the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.
>
> When I upgraded to this version of Mailman (2.1.34) I specified the configure
> options per the article (https://wiki.list.org/x/17892071) for RHEL. The
> group for '/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman' is indeed 'nobody'. What is this
> error trying to tell me. It is not clear what wrapper it is talking about
> since the group on the indicated script is correct.

That's not what the error is saying. See the FAQ at
<https://wiki.list.org/x/4030645> for the detail.

`Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group
"nobody"` is because you configured --with-mail-gid=nobody and that says
you expect your MTA to invoke the /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper
as group `nobody`, but in fact it invoked it as group mailman.

There are two things going on here. The actual group of the
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper should not be `nobody`. it should
be SETGID and group `mailman`. check_perms should tell you that. All the
wrappers /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman and /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/*
shoulkd be SETGID and group `mailman` so they actually execute as
effective group `mailman`.

The second thing is I'm guessing your MTA is Postfix and you have
Mailman/Postfix integration so your Mailman aliases are in
/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases. If this is the case, Postfix executes the
pipe for the alias with the user/group set to the user and primary group
of the owner of the .db file in which it found the alias. See the
`DELIVERY RIGHTS` section at <http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html>. This
means if /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db is owned by `mailman`, Postfix
will invoke the wrapper as group `mailman` and you should configure
--with-mail-gid=mailman