On 2022-03-21 at 10:01:58 UTC-0400 (Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:01:58 -0000)
 <robertowenbere...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

Does the list support plus addressing?

What do you mean by that question???

"Plus addressing" is only relevant to final local delivery and in some cases to intra-realm bespoke mail routing. Address local-parts MUST NEVER be interpreted as anything but opaque nonces unless they are in "your" domains. Do not attempt to parse, validate, translate, or canonicalize local-parts in other people's domains.

A mailing list MUST NOT generically equate two local-parts in a non-local domain without the explicit permission of the users whose addresses are being equated.

Google and O365 support plus addressing.

That is not relevant to a mailing list not operated by Google or MS. Support for plus-addressing has been widespread for decades. If it isn't YOUR plussed address, it's just an address. The plus in the local part is none of your business. Do not touch it. You cannot know how an address owner is handling plussed addresses unless they tell you, and that does not mean unless their mail provider tells you.

Yes. I do something similar and have for decades. Every list I subscribe to uses a different address, all of which ultimately deliver to mailboxes in the same IMAP account. I abandoned the '+' as a delimiter some years ago because of the bad habit of some mail handlers of trying to disassemble plussed addresses.

The problem is that when they reply, or generate a new message, it may be held or rejected because it is coming from an address different than they subscribed with.

That is 100% the sender's problem. If they can't send and receive mail with the address they used to subscribe, they should never have used it to subscribe. It's fine to accommodate specific individuals' incapacity to use their addressing flexibility as designed.

If a MUA doesn't support sending mail with arbitrary plus addressing, it doesn't really support plus addressing. That includes webmail MUAs like GMail and MS365/OWA. Desktop MUAs have been supporting this since Eudora v1.0, so it's hardly a novel feature.

I am aware of the hack at: https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20can%20I%20post%20from%202%20or%20more%20addresses%20to%20a%20%22members-only%22%20list%3F However this does not appeal to the tinfoil hat crowd who thinks you are just going to sell both addresses.
Nor do I want to explain to the masses this hack.

The only reason to do that is to accommodate individuals who specifically want it and/or who chronically send with a wrong address and so clearly need it.

The idea of a discussion mailing list 'selling addresses' is silly. Without significant customization any subscriber to a discussion mailing list using Mailman or similar tools can see the address of every person posting to the list. If one uses an email address in a public way for long enough, it will get to spammers. Even if you don't use it publicly, spammers may land on it with guesses and other users might typo their addresses to yours when giving it to others.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire