On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 12:26 PM Odhiambo Washington <odhia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 11:01 AM Stephen J. Turnbull <
> stephenjturnb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Odhiambo Washington writes:
>>
>>  > What is the simplest way to add a searchbox for the archives?
>>
>> If you're talking about about Mailman 2's Pipermail, you need to
>> install and configure a separate application.  I think HT:Dig is most
>> popular, but I've only used Namazu, which worked well for me.  There's
>> a detailed FAQ on it: https://wiki.list.org/x/4030514, which says
>> there are maintained branches on LaunchPad with patches to integrate
>> HT:Dig.  That may be easiest.  Mark will know more when he gets back.
>>
>> Another formerly somewhat popular approach is to substitute MHonArc
>> for Pipermail, although that software is quite old now, and I'm not
>> sure about its security status.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Hi Steve,
>
> Great that you are using namazu. I hope you can help me with the bits I am
> stuck about using it.
>
> I have found a detailed HOWTO
> <http://bakacsin.ki.iif.hu/~kissg/project/mailman+namazu/#nmzproc> for
> installing it on Linux, but I use FreeBSD.
> I have installed namazu on FreeBSD and configured it using the guide
> (while conforming to the FreeBSD file system layout), but I have two
> problems:
>
> 1. I am getting too many messages from cron which I am unable to address
> because I am not a perl programmer:
>
> Useless use of greediness modifier '?' in regex; marked by <-- HERE in
> m/^\w+:{1,1}? <-- HERE / at /usr/local/share/namazu/filter/mp3.pl line
> 155.
>
> I wonder if doing away with the "?" on that regex is sufficient. I have
> done that, but I am unsure how it affects the indexing.
>
> 2. The next step that I am not getting clear is how to now include the
> search box in each list's archive.
> In the guide, there is a section that talks about having
> /etc/mailman/*/{archtoc.html | archtocnombox.html} and I get lost right
> there.
> My mailman is installed in /usr/local/mailman2/ and nothing exists as
> /etc/mailman/ (which I believe is Linux file system layout).
> Where should I place these two files - archtoc.html and archtocnombox.html
> - and how do I now integrate them in the whole setup to get the searchbox?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Answering myself on #2, I did figure out that the two files should go to my
templates/{language}/ as drop-in replacements. I have done that but
accessing
the archives of my list still do not bring the search box as shown here -
https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/ - and I am thinking that
there's something
minor that I am still missing.

--