On 12/13/23 12:08, Mark Sapiro wrote:
On 12/13/23 10:00, Jim Dory wrote:

As for listinfo.html, I see 2 pertinent files. on under ../en/templates (this list is just english) and under ../lists/[name of our list]/ . The templates version includes a few lines of captcha which the lists version doesn't. Here's a snippet of the templates version:

This is your problem. You have a list specific version of the listinfo.html template in lists/listname/en/listinfo.html which was probably created on an older version before the captchas were implemented.

You need to diff lists/listname/en/listinfo.html with templates/en/listinfo.html. Part of the diff will be the absence of the

      <mm-recaptcha-ui>
      <mm-captcha-ui>

tags in lists/listname/en/listinfo.html which need to be added. If that's the only diff, you can simply remove lists/listname/en/listinfo.html and fall back to the default, but if you had local changes in lists/listname/en/listinfo.html, you probably want to keep those and just add the missing captcha tags.

However, the only issue from those missing tags should be an inability to subscribe via the listinfo page. It shouldn't affect login to the admin or admindb pages and it shouldn't cause a Bad Request error. If after fixing the template, you still can't log in, We would like to see the full traceback from Mailman's logs/error log.

It's possible this is a cPanel issue.

Thank you Mark,

My bad.. rather than Bad Request error (oiy, my memory), the actual error when
enabling the RECAPTCHA strings is this:

   Bug in Mailman version <undetermined>

     We're sorry, we hit a bug!

Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs or the web server logs.

So I looked in the mailman logs - I see several logs but the error one did not have any entry from today. Not sure where I would find a pertinent log such as the "web server logs" in the page error above.

What I tried was to hide the lists/[list-name]/en/listinfo.html and replace with the one in templates. I tried without replacing the hidden one first (without yet enacting the RECAPTCHA strings) just to see if the webpage listinfo would load. It did - then tried by replacing it with the templates file, and it also loaded fine. Then I added the RECAPTCHA in the cfg file and that broke the web pages.

I did diff the two listinfo files and it seemed there were just too many differences - practically the whole files.. for me to grok. The listinfo file in the lists directory (rather than templates directory) is probably very old. I started the list I think around 2008 (at least that's how far back for the archives), though I did change server once or twice so not sure if it would have carried along.

So I'm stuck.. I did look in the mailman/logs/subscribe file and boy - lots of nasty spamming going on there. Sure would like to resolve this - might be time to go for the OS upgrade and maybe a try at Mailman v3.