On 17 Mar 2018, at 0:23, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:

I was certain this was discussed in the past, but, I couldn't find it in the mail archives anywhere, nor the hidden preferences.

There is no preference to change the use of `>` in the plain text part of emails. This is because it would be very wrong to do that.

One of the (infinite) infuriating things about Outlook seems to be that when it receives email where quoted lines in replies are prefaced with ">" it will effectively ignore the characters and only create a mild indentation on the screen of the unfortunate Outlook user.

I don't think that happens if you send a plain text email. The problem is likely that Outlook has problem with the HTML generated by MailMate.

Is there a way to change this in MailMate so that some other symbol/character is used? I think that the HTML composer uses something that looks like a |, which would probably be okay.

In manual testing, Outlook actually displayed that character, which is good.

It's not a character in MailMate. It's just the styling (CSS) of a “blockquote”.

Just wondering what the best way is of maintaining proper inline quotation, which renders sanely.

We should perhaps check that MailMate sends styled HTML when you test this. You can forward me one of your sent messages using “Message ▸ Forward as Attachment” and I'll check it. (Check that you have a theme specified for the “Default Theme” setting in the Composer preferences pane.)

A more general problem is that it's very hard for me to test how other email clients interpret the HTML generated by MailMate. Every time I make a change then it works better in one email client and worse in some other email client. For now, I've simply postponed changing themes until I've convinced myself that I should pay for something like [Litmus](https://litmus.com). It's a bit expensive when I know that I would likely only use it a few times a year.

It's not unlikely that it's impossible to generate HTML which works well for all email clients :-|