On 16 Nov 2018, at 10:10, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

On 15 Nov 2018, at 16:29, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

On my desktop (an iMac running Mojave and up-to-date MailMate 2.0), it often doesn't seem to wake up and sync. The machine is not sleeping; not only have I verified that in Settings, I've used another machine to monitor packets coming out from it. (What I see, of course, are primarily broadcasts.) This is quite annoying because it's also my SpamSieve machine. It's not filtering my inbox, except for a few times a day, nor is it looking at the remote good and bad mailboxes. It was never great at sync, but it's gotten much worse. I don't know if it's the Mojave update or the fact that my primary mail server was down for a few weeks until I could bring up a Linux box to replace my superannuated Mac Mini. But that happened more than a week ago and the new mail server is working fine.

Any thoughts? (I have some of the mailboxes with the synchronization schedule set to "connected"; it hasn't helped.)

I think it is likely to be related to the so-called app nap feature in macOS. I'm not sure whether or not it got “worse” on Mojave, but I've got some notes on what I need to change in MailMate to (possibly) avoid this problem. I'll note your address for testing such changes.

Ah! I'd never even heard of that feature. Following the instructions in
https://www.lifewire.com/control-how-mac-applications-use-app-nap-2260788
I've tried turning it off system-wide; I'll see if it helps, though for all I know I have
to restart MailMate after doing that.