I've considered an opposite DANE, where a server can know whether to refuse
an unencrypted connection.  One could imagine an extension to spf for
example saying that only encrypted connections from these ips are to be
considered authed, or just abusing spf as for encryption required as well.
Spf is certainly used today for listing ips for white listing and such, so
it's not a stretch to use it for an SSL everywhere usage.

SMTP has been a lowest common denominator method of contact at all costs,
but the minimum bar is rising especially in this post snowden world.

Brandon