> I wonder what the point is. How does the bad guy monetize it, or is it a
> coordinated attack against a specific victim? What other nefarious
> issues? Making the address useless or burying some other mail in the
> midst of the junk would seem to be a possibility.
>
> If an attack against a specific victim, it would seem that unconfirmed
> marketing lists would be a more effective weapon than a bunch of random
> confirmation messages.

We saw this happen a while back:

https://blog.fastmail.com/2014/04/10/when-two-factor-authentication-is-not-enough/

About a month ago, our hostmas...@fastmail.fm account suddenly wound up
subscribed to hundreds of mailing lists. All these mailing lists failed
to use double or confirmed opt-in, so someone was simply able to enter
the email address into a form and sign us up, no confirmation required.
This really is poor practice, but it's still pretty common out there. A
special shout-out goes to government and emergency response agencies in
the USA for their non-confirmation signup on mailing lists. Thanks guys.

The upshot was that the hostmaster address was receiving significant
noise. Rob Mueller (one of our directors) wasted (so we thought) a bunch
of his time removing us from those lists one by one, being very careful
to check that none of the 'opt-out' links were actually phishing
attempts. This turns out to have been time very well spent.

--
Rob Mueller
r...@fastmail.fm