This opens up for an interesting discussion.
We experienced the very same issue in the past for few customers and
enabling a captcha was the only viable option.
The "bots" (don't really know actually) managed to complete a COI
process with several free accounts.

Ip ranges were different some on CBL some not but blocking a listed IP
in a COI process can be dangerous.
For the very same reason I'd rule out e-hawk and alike.
The vast majority of the addresses were listed on cleantalk.org

The hidden link in the confirmation email (an HTML comment would work
better than a "white-on-white tiny font" from a
deliverabilityperspective) in may opinion is the way to go.
Even if it can be very tricky to implement, we are seriously
considering it to prevent bot clicks across the board.

HTH

Alberto Miscia | MailUp | Head of Deliverability & Compliance