While both the MAIL FROM and the From: can of course be forged by spammers, you are right that the MAIL FROM is more difficult to forge from a properly configured email server.

But it is more difficult for end users to act on the MAIL FROM as it is not visible normally.

In our own systems, we have opted for a solution that if a person decides to either 'blacklist' or 'whitelist', that we allow it to take affect at both levels, but we do it in the sense of 'Block Sender'.

Now, as Brandon pointed out, a lot of the spam will come from obfuscated MAIL FROM's, and in some cases some bulk emailers intentionally tend to use a similar pattern for ALL email, no matter who the sender, and in the case of Gmail with resources to burn, it isn't about performance (less of a need to block during the SMTP transaction, and can be dealt with later in the filtering levels), so the idea of blocking based on what is 'visible', for end users it makes sense probably. Only problem is that it doesn't help when you get emails from the same sender, with randomized From addresses, or those spammers who forge someone who's address you are familiar with..

Eg.. your bank ;)

However, since the idea of having a blacklist/whitelist at the user level is normally a 'last resort', after all other efforts at spam protection have been exhausted, and especially since Gmail isn't in the customer support business, making clear and simple to understand methods rather than technically perfect methods, will reduce customer frustrations.

"I never want to 'SEE' an email which is indicated that it is from this person/domain again"

However, having said all that, I feel for you, and personally would like to see more ESP's using the real originating email in the email MAIL FROM, rather than all emails' coming out as "bou...@espname.com", in a perfect world. In that case, blacklisting both would have more value.

But maybe Gmail needs an advanced option, for the more tech savvy individuals, who wish to expressly block based on the address used in the MAIL FROM. (eg, maybe I want to block everything from @espname.com, no matter what the From: appears to be)

For instance, one of the most requested questions we have on one of our spam products, "How do I block all emails from .top domains". Now, of course we would be loathe to simply say anything from one registrar is bad, for a tech savvy end user, that could be "his choice" to do at the MAIL FROM: level but then again, it could end up being a support headache, and even then can be forged.

But in the end, there are always more tools that a tech savvy person could use, but in Gmails' case you can understand a one-size fits all model is much easier to maintain.

So, as Brandon pointed out, in the odd case where the MAIL FROM is real, and the From: is faked, eg in the example of a compromised email account being used to appear to send as @fedex.com, something you don't want to blacklist, even if you did block the MAIL FROM, it would be whack-a-mole, as another address would be used next time. So, unless it is to choose to block all email from some large provider.... there might be more efficient ways..

By reporting 'as spam', you help the overall system stop that type of spam in the future.

Just my 2 bits to start 2017..