On Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 07:37, Paul Smith wrote:

> On 16/03/2017 14:18, Kevin Huxham wrote:

>> they probably sell fax machines.

> Their response is a bit like someone sending them credit card details
> on a postcard, and them tearing it up (because you shouldn't send
> confidential information on postcards) and asking the sender to send
> the details again, but put them in an envelope next time.
>

>  It's totally ignoring the fact that it's too late by then... (and the
>  fact that the envelope will be opened by the mail boy (Google in this
>  case) so the confidential information will still be visible by
>  unspecified eyes after arrival).

While all of that may be true, it's still worth doing because it will
encourage better behaviour in the future.

You can make a rule against sending credit cards by email, but if
customer service reps know it works they might still encourage a
customer to do it as it's faster and easier than other options (fax,
mail) and when Something Bad Happens, the customer will rightly blame
the company.

By enforcing rules at a technical level you won't stop someone creative
from sending a credit card number, even if they have to go Craigslist
Style ("this 4000 is 5555 my 1111 credit 9999 card"), but it will slow
people down and make doing it properly suddenly seem more attractive.

It's an imperfect world.