On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 9:42 AM,  <valdis.kletni...@vt.edu> wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2017 15:47:50 +0100, "John R Levine" said:
>
>> I used to have my own credit card account and my card processor demanded
>> PCI compliance.  About 1/4 of it was reasonable, 3/4 was cargo cult stuff
>> that mostly involved stuff like setting packet filters so they couldn't
>> probe ports that weren't going to answer anyway.
>
> I gave up on thinking that PCI was something other than an extortion racket a
> number of years ago, when somebody reported on the major breaches of the year
> and noted that 100% of them were in full PCI compliance at the time of the
> breach.

This field study - from a real-world state-government-level experiment
that changed the incentives for auditing industrial plants in Gujarat
- is informative:

"Truth-telling by Third-party Auditors and the Response of Polluting
Firms: Experimental Evidence from India"

http://economics.mit.edu/files/10713

The auditing teams were compensated for *confirmed* findings.
Magically, significantly more findings were discovered. Magically,
compliance increased.

Full abstract:

In many regulated markets, private, third-party auditors are chosen
and paid by the firms that they audit, potentially creating a conflict
of interest. This article reports on a two-year field experiment in
the Indian state of Gujarat that sought to curb such a conflict by
altering the market structure for environmental audits of industrial
plants to incentivize accurate reporting. There are three main
results. First, the status quo system was largely corrupted, with
auditors systematically reporting plant emissions just below the
standard, although true emissions were typically higher. Second, the
treatment caused auditors to report more truthfully and very
significantly lowered the fraction of plants that were falsely
reported as compliant with pollution standards. Third, treatment
plants, in turn, reduced their pollution emissions. The results
suggest reformed incentives for third-party auditors can improve their
reporting and make regulation more effective. JEL Codes: Q56, M42,
D22.

[end abstract]

The "before" section of the paper will seem hauntingly familiar.

"Show me the incentives and I'll show you the outcome." - Charlie Munger

Royce