On 5/7/17 7:00 PM, John Cenile wrote:

A customer of ours has a website which someone signed up to (created an
account). The website sent a confirmation email to that person, and for
certain reasons, it bounced back. Our customer, who is using a Hotmail
address, then /marked the bounceback email as Junk/, affecting our IP
rating according to SNDS.

To sum up: Your system sent email to a customer on a Hotmail account. The customer reported to Microsoft that it was junk.

How does that make any sense?

Because your system sent mail that Microsoft's customer marked as junk.

Why should our reputation be affected because this customer won't dispose of
the message properly and just marks it as Junk to get rid of it?

Because Microsoft can't read minds. Your system sent mail. It was marked as junk. This stuff happens. Customers using freemail accounts sometimes aren't the most clueful.

How are other people dealing with issues like this?

Sending far more ham than spam. Educating their customers not to do that.

If your mailstream to Hotmail is that >< close to being sent to the spam bucket and one such clueless report is going to tip the scale, you have other problems.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - j...@impulse.net