I've been going through some GDPR stuff. Amongst other things, we provide SMTP relay services to some customers, so are a 'Data Processor' under GDPR. In itself, that's OK as our own operations are GDPR compliant.

But, how it interacts with email, it all seems to get very horrible. I suspect the *intention* is OK, but I'm struggling with the actual regulations.

If someone sends a message from the UK to someone in the USA, by definition, we must send that email outside of the EU. When we send the email, we are sending personal data (eg usually the name/email address of the sender never mind the content which could be anything (outside our control)). That causes issues for GDPR.

When we send the outgoing message to another mail server, that other server's operator is also a Data Processor. According to Article 28 of GDPR, we have to get prior approval of the Data Controller before using them, and a responsibility to check that they are GDPR compliant. Obviously that isn't going to happen in any feasible way...

Then there's the question about whether Internet connectivity/Wifi hotspt providers are also Data Processors as they potentially have access to the message data (including personal data) and could be classed as 'processing' it.

Also, if a user is on holiday in the USA and downloads email to their phone or in an Internet cafe, we are 'sending it outside the EU', so again, GDPR has issues.

I thought it was all OK, but one of our customers asked us to sign a contract for GDPR which prevents us from sending data outside of the UK and from sending it to any other companies without prior written permission. I've pointed out the problems to them, but wondered if anyone else had come across this.

--

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800

Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe