All,

can anyone enlighten me on the following two questions, related to S/MIME:

1. does an S/MIME message with a bodypart labelled
   application/pkcs7-mime and smime-type=enveloped-data
   always/usually/never carry the certificate of the sender?
2. I tried to extract the certificates from the bodypart using:

   openssl pkcs7 -in <b64 decoded bodypart> -inform DER -print_certs

   I get no errors, but zero output as well. Not sure what I'm doing
   wrong. When trying the following:

   openssl smime -in <bodypart> -pk7out -out msg.pk7
   openssl asn1parse -in msg.pk7

   I get the ASN1 structure, showing two certificates, one root and one
   intermediate. Can I be sure that the bodypart doesn't carry the
   sender's certificate, or does it depend on the inner structure of
   the .p7m blob?

Thanks,

/rolf