From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Mihai Costea
Sent: jeudi 4 octobre 2018 19:21
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] Is SenderID deprecated? (Udeme Ukutt)

Hi

There are no reasons to worry about old Exchange onPrem servers spam filters as
nobody relies on them anymore.

We stopped issuing filter updates two years ago and the filter itself stopped
receiving new features well before that.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/09/01/deprecating-support-for-smartscreen-in-outlook-and-exchange/

"no record" never had any impact in the SenderID agent.

"Auth fail -> hard fail" was not wise policy to enable due to complex routing
false positives.

Auth pass was fed into the smartscreen (content filter) in Exchange as a
positive email feature, assuming legit senders will auth more than spammers.
Which was a bad assumptions as spammers were in fact the earliest adopters.

No record never had any impact.

Everything is SPF these days in both O365 and Outlook.com.  Some headers might
mention PRA/PRD as the entity among all the sender related headers that was
selected to do the check against, but this selection is done the SPF way.

>From any practical pov SenderID is deprecated.

For the email historians, Terry had at least a hundred blogs on auth over the
years.

e.g.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tzink/2007/07/29/sender-authentication-part-17-hazards-of-senderid-and-spf/
Sender authentication part 17: Hazards of SenderID and SPF
...<https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tzink/2007/07/29/sender-authentication-part-17-hazards-of-senderid-and-spf/>
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com
Both SenderID and SPF have their critics. I'd like to touch on two potential
problems with them: the first is the issue of email forwarding. There's no
official standard on how email is to be forwarded (in terms of rewriting the
headers). Suppose that Mail Server A sends the message and everything complies
with SenderID...