On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 at 18:55, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> Mail systems can do whatever they want internally.  But I am pretty
> sure that even Hotmail/Outlook/Live/whatever will not ask your DNS for
> Sender-ID records any more.

How do you know that? Aren't they simple "TXT" records? How do you
know what a dns lookup will read once it asked for TXT records?

And, that said, then don't tell that "SenderID" specification can be ignored...
SenderID always abused SPF and if they now stopped reading spf2.0
records, then the spec (rfc4406) is still alive, and still abusing SPF
records (but using SenderID rules) defined in rfc4408.
If SenderID implementors still apply SenderID specification but
ignoring the spf2.0 records, I guess this is worse than keep
supporting the record (at least I could publish an "spf2 +all" record
if I didn't want my SPF record to be "misused" with the senderid
logics.

What I care is the sentence "Everything is SPF these days in both O365
and Outlook.com.  Some headers might mention PRA/PRD as the entity
among all the sender related headers that was selected to do the check
against, but this selection is done the SPF way." does not say "we
still implements SenderID but limited to reading SPF1 records":
Outlook.com headers clearly tell me that SenderID is still "computed"
using the Sender header and other SenderID rules... I'd like to know
if this is just some trash in the headers or if they actually use it
in any way.

Stefano