Ah yes.. have to have the ACL's in place to send empty replies ;)

With our company having run RBL's for well over 10 years, (like many others on this list) we have seen it all, spammers checking for clean IP space, employees at competitors, the 'startups' wanting to seed their data sets (don't they understand and respect the time and effort that went into this?) and even large telco's (yes, you can afford a subscription), not to mention the bad actors that want to disrupt the service for their own evil plans of world domination..

Luckily, mirror nodes are cheap, and many good companies out there are also willing to offer mirrors, and we use our own custom 'rbldnsd' with a custom data distribution method (we should share more of this to others) so our load is a lot lighter, but yes....

Anyone wanting to 'fire up' an RBL, willing have teething pains :)

On 2019-01-08 3:54 p.m., Bill Cole wrote:
No, the difficult part of running a DNSBL is handling the query load.

I run a private DNSBL whose base zone has only ever appeared in 5xx replies and well over a decade ago on some now-defunct technical discussion lists more obscure than this one and on one web page on my ultra-low-traffic website. It has never provided public service, thanks to BIND views.

A handful of resolving entities attempt hundreds of thousands of queries against that zone most days. They have never received useful responses. Many now receive NO responses now, because one IP4 broker (apparently...) has taken to using AWS instances to send scores of thousands of queries regarding a single entirely unrouted /20 in parallel every day  between 2100Z and 2110Z. Each IP is queried against the DNSBL from multiple AWS zones all at once. Until I started automatically dropping Amazon /24s into a "no DNS for you" IP set on my external router, my authoritative DNS server was basically useless for 5-10 minutes almost every day. When they ask my secondary because I don't respond, they get no answers and a referral to '.' as the NS for the DNSBL zone.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."