From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Bill Cole
Sent: 18 January 2019 16:29
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] how can we get better?

Having never had a need to diagnose and fix deliverability trouble as
(apparently) mysterious as yours, I'll stick to some visible problems which may
be contributing and hope others who work more on the bulk sending side can
provide deeper aid...

On 18 Jan 2019, at 10:15, Mark | Uniform Benefits wrote:

> Let's Engage took over the running of uniformbenefits.com in March
> last year and we set about sending out our member's emails from sender
> newslet...@uniformbenefits.com <mailto:newslet...@uniformbenefits.com>
>  off
> the domain enews.letsengage.com on IP 213.32.179.122 and came a
> cropper

The domain name enews.letsengage.com does not exist in DNS. If you actually use
that domain in email, particularly as the SMTP sender domain, you will have
severe problems.

However, if your reference to enews.letsengage.com was just a typo for
enews-letsengage.com, the DNS for this domain is a non-problem.

> Looking at best practice we saw that we really should be sending from
> our
> website domain (uniformbenefits.com) and not a separate domain which
> is
> associated with our company name (Let's Engage limited). We have
> purchased
> and configured another domain and left it for a while before setting
> up
> sender ne...@uniformbenefits.com <mailto:ne...@uniformbenefits.com>
> on IP
> 77.32.146.243 and sent out a single email as a test to my gmail
> address
> which gave me a message along the lines of ' this email has been
> delivered
> to spam due to the poor rep of domain'.

You have 1 more SPF TXT record than is useful for uniformbenefits.com:

$ dig uniformbenefits.com txt |grep spf
uniformbenefits.com.    14400   IN      TXT     "v=spf1 ip4:91.232.125.63
ip4:91.232.124.108 +a +mx ~all"
uniformbenefits.com.    14400   IN      TXT     "v=spf1
include:spf.sendinblue.com mx
~all"

This means you effectively have *NO* SPF record, as there's no standard
mechanism to use or combine multiple records for the same domain name.
It is always wise to get an impartial 3rd party evaluation of your SPF
record when sending mail in bulk, because it is a factor used in nearly
every spam abatement system. As SPF validation is simple to do, there
are free tools for it. I like
https://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html because it provides multiple
test modes and is (as far as I've seen) both correct and complete.

--
Bill Cole

---
https://www.avg.com