Dnia 10.10.2019 o godz. 09:42:34 Paul Smith via mailop pisze:

> Nowadays, you'd be daft to accept mail from anywhere unless the
> sender 'proves' to be nasty. Generally, you'll find it more likely
> to work the other way. If you're an unknown sender, you're likely to
> be filtered until you're proven to be good.

That makes sense if you keep your e-mail address secret and give it to
friends, relatives, coworkers etc. only, and only expect messages from them.
In that case you could just delete or reject messages from everyone else and
it won't be strange.

However, if you announce your e-mail address publicly, by eg. putting it on
a website as your contact address, or participating in a mailing list like
this one using this address, you are actually inviting people to contact you
at this address. So you should ensure that you *can* be contacted by pretty
much everyone. Of course, it's not an invitation to send you actual spam;
but distrusting some senders just because they *can* *potentially* *in your
opinion* be spammers, while you have on the other hand actually *invited*
them to send you mail (legitimate mail, not spams)... that just doesn't go
with each other.

> This is especially the
> case if you're using a TLD or network with a bad reputation. In that
> case, simply by using those low-rep things, you are broadcasting
> that you're *likely* to be bad. It's the same as walking into a war
> zone wearing the enemy's uniform. You may not be the enemy, but
> you're very likely to be, so don't be surprised if you get shot.

But we are not on war. The fact that there are criminals on the Internet
doesn't make it a "war zone", similarly as the fact that you can meet a
criminal in everyday life doesn't make the whole life a "war zone".

Internet is tool for communications, not for fighting. If we start treating
it as a "war zone", and just blindly reject or delete (as putting a message
in spam folder practically equals deletion to an average user) messages just
based on our *assumptions* towards the senders (as "reputation" is nothing
more than an *assumption*, especially if it refers not to a particular
sender, but to whole netblock), we might just as well start to shut the
whole Internet down.

I wouldn't dare to decide who harms the communication and cooperation in the
Internet more - a spammer or someone who just blindly refuses to accept
messages based on *very broad* assumptions that a sender *may* be spammer
(despite the fact that he/she actually *isn't*). To me, both are equally
bad members of the community.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa