Hi Andrew,

On 22/03/2020 16:05, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020, Steve Freegard via mailop wrote:
I didn't design this to annoy people, I did it because it's useful for the internet in general because compromised accounts are a huge issue, and one that causes issues for blacklist providers like us (e.g. if the compromised accounts are on unblockable IPs, then we have less ability to stop them), so this was more about providing data that previously wasn't available *for free* to help the community in general.

Is it possible, and/or useful, to reuse the DMARC reporting mechanism ?

I didn't do this because I figured that postmaster@ was the most appropriate place, and because many places will use service like DMARCian, Agari etc. for aggregate reports and it would mean that they'd be less likely to be seen if I sent them there.

I'm happy to discuss alternative methods, but please bear in mind that for this data alone we average around 80 connections/sec with peaks much higher than this, so adding in additional DNS lookups is costly.

The sheer amount of bounces from domains that don't have working postmaster@ accounts is a bit disheartening already.

Kind regards,
Steve.

--