On 5/19/20 5:51 AM, Thomas Walter via mailop wrote:
> On 19.05.20 12:01, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
>> A shared account by itself is a security loophole.
> Why is that? You can perfectly share an account with IMAP4 Access
> Control Lists.
>
> The issue is not the shared account, the issue is a shared password.

Correct.  Most of our shared mailboxes are indeed accessed via mailbox
permissions, but some people still choose to set a password on the shared
account for reasons; sometimes valid, but sometimes misguided.

I guess I was making the logical leap that if the password was in a breach data
set, then a password associated with that address exists in the wild.  Maybe
one of the people with access to that account used the address to sign up for a
3rd party service, and they presumably shared that password with others and
made it easy to remember.  A typical user may have signed up for multiple 3rd
party services using the same password.

Hopefully they used a password manager and generated strong unique passwords
and shared to their colleagues via the password manager's sharing capabilities.
 No way to really know unless to ask.  Hence why I see value in getting reports
like what Abusix is providing.

Jesse