On 3/27/2020 11:43 AM, John Levine via mailop wrote:
> In article <ebfa5081-45c4-d17a-787a-141220fc1...@spamtrap.tnetconsulting.net>
> you write:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> On 3/26/20 11:20 AM, John R Levine via mailop wrote:
>>> As I'm sure you're aware, we've seen way too much spam from people who
>>> imagine that COVID is an excuse to reanimate zombie lists.
>> Is there any precedent on how fresh / recent the "established business
>> relationship" must be to cover sending largely superfluous email?
> I don't think it's the kind of thing for which anyone could define a
> fixed rule beyond the obvious -- send people mail they want to get.

I think the problem is what do you consider evidence of spam to then
actually block that email?

I use the definition from Chris Santere that *spam is about consent NOT
content.*

I do NOT care what your email contains.  That's not by business.  What
is my business is the consent to receive the email.

And I take a the approach that there are implicit consent in
transactions.  For example, you buy something from XYZ big box store's
website.  There is a 100% implicit consent that you can receive emails
about that order such as a receipt and shipping status.

Now, if their checkout process has a sign up for their advertisements,
that's also consent to receive those ads.  I'd LIKE them to use opt-in
requirement with a verification process on the email but I have to
accept that many T&S say they can contact you and they make the sign-up
for advertisements as a bit sneaky.  I also see where people have a
legal requirement to contact people.  For example, you buy something
from me and it's recalled, I have to notify you even if it's been 10
years. At the end of the day, though, that is consent and it's therefore
not spam.

This is the "test" I apply when analyzing spam, creating rules and
blacklisting things.  For me, I look to be VERY surgical and not
interrupt legit mail.

HTH,

KAM