On Sat 24/Oct/2020 01:35:04 +0200 Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
(In one of the places I worked previously, we tried to create our own poor
man's "sendfile" replacement, by plugging a mail filter into a MTA, which
removed from submitted messages attachments larger than a certain size,
stored them on a webserver with randomly generated links, and put these
links in outgoing message instead of removed attachments. The recipient
could download the original file by clicking on a link received in the
message. That's of course a very primitive approach, as the real
implementation would have to be in the MUA).

To let a MUA know that an URL points to content to be downloaded as part of the message, one could use:

RFC 2017 provided for URL schemes "FTP", "ANON-FTP", "TFTP", "LOCAL-FILE", and "MAIL-SERVER" (the same access-types defined by RFC 2046.)

Never saw a MUA supporting that.  Are there any?

Best
Ale