On 16/10/2021 11:44, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:

On 10/15/21 7:11 PM, Dave Crocker via mailop wrote:

Let's try I again.  I said "for these two functions".

The original query, as noted in the Subject line, is for IMAP and SMTP.

How does reputation for SMTP activity interact with IMAP activity?

And what does reputation mean, relative to IMAP activity?

I can see a hypothetical scenario where a client is running a firewall that is filtering connections based on IP reputation. So if an SMTP server is erroneously listed, said firewall might block the IP, thereby blocking the client's access to the IMAP server if it was on the same IP as the SMTP server.

But that surely is the mail operators fault, if an abuser on say 25 or 587 results in everything being blocked, that's too heavy handed and they accept the end result for their paranoia.

I use a more measured heavy handedness ;)

if one abuses any of 25|465|587 they are blocked on all of 25/465/587 with a lengthy filter time if one abuses any of 110|143|993|995 they are blocked on all of 110/143/993/995 with a slightly shorter filter time

Not saying its perfect or ideal, as always YMMV, but it's worked well enough for me for many many years.

O.P

I used to run separate ip's and names way back in the day, but in the end, it did cause CSR's more grief, so for past 15 years or so using just mail.domain removed most of it, and yes as someone else mentioned earlier, when you need to scale, load balancers, that's what they were designed for :)

If you get biggish though it helps to keep the mx side of things separate though using its own name and perhaps behind its own LB too.

You don't need to go out and buy one of the criminally overprices "brand name" things that cost 10's to 100's of thousands, maybe if you get to size of Microsoft or google you might, but for most of us here, nah, our 2 LB's cost about 4K each, but that was a while back :)

--
Regards,
Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.