On 2021-11-10 11:47 a.m., Rob McEwen via mailop wrote:
The only issue here is that, for every user/customer that needs a unique key, an entirely different set of data has to be loaded into memory on the server. That's a huge limitation. It doesn't "scale". Therefore, for invaluement, in our new-ish direct query system (that started in 2018), that uses such unique keys for each DNS query customer, I had to basically custom program rbldnsd to overcome this. It took dozens of hours of very frustratingly-difficult programing, but that's partly because I'm not very good at C++! (by doing this myself, that was especially helpful for keeping this very hard-earned expertise in-house and very guarded!)

Not sure why we/you should keep it 'inhouse', as it seems that all RBL operators are adopting a similar strategy.

We need more co-operative opensource collaboration, and ensure that RBLDNSD doesn't end up with twenty forks, so it gets even better performance, and simply has an option to treat all queries to a 'keyed' subdomain, either to be served a single data source, or individual data sources, based on a configuration item ;)

And of course, the DSO support ;)

Already, the source/git are in too many multiple places. Whatever happened to giving back to opensource? I think you are building on other's 'hard-earned expertise' as well.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."