On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:55:40 -0600, Scott Mutter via mailop
<mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

>(AT&T is just an example here, but serves to better illustrate how a form
>could be useful in this situation)

Based on their corporate behaviour in recent experience, I would assert that
AT&T is not a useful case, comparable to the general run.

For instance, in the tariff side, it is well known that AT&T's Global Fraud
Department has not responded to telephone calls for many years, and if we want
to get traction handling a fraudulent account created in my wife's name, which
AT&T required NO confirming identification to establish, my wife must appear
in person at an official AT&T shop, with photo ID, to confirm that she is the
person who did not set up the account.  We decline to do this, so they
continue to bombard an email account I set up in 2008 for a test of a co-reg
site, demanding payment.  The fraudsters appear to have access to AT&T's
customer history database, my wife's SSAN, and access to the USPS database
that will give you the addresses of newly-vacated residences, the names of the
former occupants, when they moved, and where they have moved to.

AT&T could have caught the folks who ordered the tricked-out iPhone 13 on
installment, and had it sent to an address we vacated months ago, but yawn.

At least we have a free phone for all the hassle, though we haven't decided
what to do with it.  They do offer a form for fraud reports, but you can't
fill it out without knowing the entire account number, which you can't know
unless you activate the phone, or visit a store as noted above.

So, imagine how keen they will be to handle silly little issues such as the
ones you describe.  It's not difficult to imagine that the budget lines for
all those abuse-handling activities are asymptotically approaching the cube
root of zero.

mdr
--
       Those who can make you believe absurdities
       can make you commit atrocities.