On 23/02/2022 23:10, Sinclair, John via mailop wrote:

Staring at the end of the Google Suite (aka Workspace) free lunch days. Trying to find a free solution that will still let me use a custom domain, not coming up with much, so thinking about going back to rolling and hosting my own email server for the family. What's the best of breed these days for small/micro servers hosting five-ish email accounts, probably no more than 1TB total - looking for as-close-to-gmail-as-possible webmail, IMAP access for mobile, might even throw a nextcloud/freenas type of environment on for file storage/sharing. Not interested in hosting my own IMAP and using a free gmail account as a client - looking to only have the family have to keep one username (on the custom domain) and basically cut out Google entirely. I have the hardware and the bandwidth, it's more of a what OS/email/webmail is best of breed these days, not only for robustness/security, but also something that can have at least some attempt at blocking most of the spam…

Thoughts?

You can get a small cheap reliable VPS for around 10 USD a year from likes of host.us that would be perfect for what you want, install postfix, dovecot and you're up and running if all you want is a personal domain.

You can add on amavisd/spamassassin/clamav to deal with vermin as you get time, you can then add opendkim and dmarc also as your time permits.

As has already been stated, your initial setup should always involve setting your matching DNS correctly, create SPF records, and use a few DNSBL's to stop the rot.

- That said, if your internet is reliable, I've run my personal mail server on a spare PC at home for family, extended family, and a few friends, for decades with next to no issues, also means if I changed employers I don't have to have downtime moving it all the time, I'm always sus of those who change IP's all the time, appears they have been up to no good.

--
Regards,
Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.