> On 18 Apr 2022, at 08:35, Vittorio Bertola via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Il 15/04/2022 16:43 Laura Atkins via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> ha scritto:
>>
>> All of the complaints I’ve seen about google track back to: the person was
>> either actively sending spam (possibly unknowingly, but that doesn’t exactly
>> reflect well on the sender) or they’re using a free service that is
>> regularly used to send spam and they refuse to actually move to a service
>> that doesn’t allow abuse.
> Well, no. I have been running a personal VPS with a personal .eu email domain
> for almost 20 years now, moving across a handful of major hosting providers
> in Europe, and several times throughout this period Gmail started to reject
> my mail without any clear reason to do so, even if I followed all the
> instructions on their website. Usually it got better after a few months, also
> without any clear reason.

Without any clear reason you could see. That doesn’t mean they didn’t have a
reason.

>> No one is forced to use google as a recipient mail server and everyone who
>> is using it made a choice to do so - either by moving their domain there or
>> actively signing up for a gmail.com <http://gmail.com/> address.
> This is also not entirely true. People are forced to get a Gmail account and
> strongly encouraged to use it (for example, by defaults and preinstalled
> apps) when they get an Android phone, or for a number of other reasons
> related to other services.

Having a google account != being forced to use it for email.

> Also, people are told to get a Gmail account as a solution to their email
> provider being unable to deliver to Gmail :) So, sure, Gmail offers good
> service, perhaps the best among the free ones, but a good part of their
> success is is due to their overall dominant market position.

I do a LOT of work with lists of domains for clients. Part of that work is
looking at what filters are handling mail. The process is simple: do DNS
lookups on all the domains, do some classification of the underlying MXs and
then rank them by who is handling the most mail / domains for the client.

The data is pretty consistent across a wide range of clients. Google and
Microsoft are the top, followed by Yahoo if the list is a consumer list, and
Proofpoint if it’s a business list. Then another handful of domains - mimecast
is a big one for both consumer and business users.

What’s interesting is the difference when I’m looking at bounce logs. When
clients send me logs, I do roughly the same thing - grab the domains, do MX
lookups and the classify them. Google is rarely at the top of the list in those
cases.

So in terms of sending mail, Google handles maybe 30 - 40% of email. Microsoft
handles slightly less, but still quite a bit, then about a dozen different and
very recognizable filters. In terms of bouncing mail, the numbers are all over
the place, but Google rarely enters into it. The biggest IP blocking problem I
see is because mimecast uses spamcop. Spamcop seems to be randomly blocking a
shared IP pool one of my clients is using and no one can tell me if it’s my
client’s problem (which I can fix) or just the IP pool.

My biggest problem with Google is actually some of their customers reach out to
me about their domains having a bad reputation and wanting help. When I reply
to them google puts my reply in their spam folder. (Lost a couple potential
clients that way ‘your mail ended up in spam, so you clearly don’t know what
you’re doing.’ The answer is pretty simple, though, when I remove their domain
from the email it makes it to the inbox. Their domain reputation is that bad.

I don’t think I’ve ever had Google actually block my VPS ever. I’m not saying
it doesn’t happen, I’m just saying that it’s generally for a reason. Google
doesn’t just throw up random blocks for no reason. We may not understand it,
but that doesn’t mean it’s random.

The claims that Google is somehow a monopoly and that they’re using blocking to
force people to use their systems is based on conjecture. It is demonstrably
false. They’re not aggressive in terms of blocking mail - there are folks who
handle less mail than Google but block much more mail.

laura

--
The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins