The systems may not *strictly* require a Gmail account, only a Google
account,

Your adding "strictly" does not change the fact that a Gmail account is not required.

but that doesn't mean it is not perceived as such.

Sure, the Google account sign-up page offers to create a Gmail address for you, but it has immediately underneath that in bold font "Use my current email address instead".

However we are digressing somewhat from the thread...

However, even if it isn't actually a hard requirement, if it is
perceived as a requisite to use the software, there is still such
effect.

The comment I responded to was:

People are forced to get a Gmail account...

They are not, as you have also acknowledged. They are offered it, as one would expect, but clearly given an alternate option.

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16