On 2022-07-13 17:52:33 (+0800), Laura Atkins wrote:
On 13 Jul 2022, at 09:07, Philip Paeps via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
On 2022-07-13 15:31:17 (+0800), Philip Paeps via mailop wrote:
In the past couple of days, I'm seeing an uptick in rejects from Gmail as follows: [...]

As far as I can tell, the message is compliant. It doesn't have any of the obvious problems, at least. From, To, Message-ID and Date are supplied. No duplicate headers.

It turns out there was, in fact, a duplicate Date: header. Sigh. I am blind. I was looking for duplicate To: headers, which are a lot easier to introduce. I wonder how that happened.

Apologies for the noise.

(Still wondering if Google has gotten stricter though... As far as I know, this commit mail script hasn't been touched in a very long time. Though I won't exclude the possibility of something else in the mail pipeline having changed.)

There are currently quite a number of anecdotal reports that Google is moving towards rejecting more email that doesn’t comply with their interpretation of the standards. This includes 5321/2 and the authentication standards.

For fans of anecdata... :-)

The duplicate Date: header was introduced on 2021-06-05 at 11:00:56 UTC.

As far as I can tell, we saw our first reject on 2022-07-08 at 23:15:18 UTC.

We only keep 7 days of outbound logs and this this particular script only sends a handful to a few dozen messages daily. A slow enough trickle for patterns to take a while before becoming obvious.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer