below 998 characters.

That's probably what's wrong. 5322 says all the lines, not just the headers, have to be no more than 1000 octets including the \r\n

Each header is separated by \r\n

Here is an example of the date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 12:51:19 -0500   I think this
is correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine [mailto:jo...@taugh.com]
Sent: July 15, 2022 1:16 PM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Cc: m...@bacchusbrew.com
Subject: Re: [mailop] FW: Did Google become stricter about RFC 5322?

It appears that Michael Ellis via mailop <m...@bacchusbrew.com> said:
Am I missing something as well? Google just rejected a client due to PTR on
mailop-boun...@mailop.org but it seems fine to me ...

    Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked. Please review 550
5.7.1
    RFC 5322 specifications for more information.

PTRs aren't RFC 5322

As far as I can tell, the message is compliant.  It doesn't have any of
the obvious problems, at least.  From, To, Message-ID and Date are
supplied.  No duplicate headers.

How long are the text lines?

Is there \r\n at the end of each line in the header and body?

Is the Date: in the correct form?

R's,
John

Regards,