On 2022-07-23 at 15:34:39 UTC-0400 (23 Jul 2022 15:34:39 -0400)
John Levine via mailop <jo...@taugh.com>
is rumored to have said:

It appears that Bill Cole via mailop <mailop-20160...@billmail.scconsult.com> said:
If only we had a framework for error codes in SMTP that carry useful
semantics...

We do. That's what the enhanced error codes are for. See RFCs 1893 and
5248. A lot of them are quite informative, e.g. 5.2.2 mailbox full,
5.7.13 user account disabled, 5.5.3 too many recipients, or
5.7.28 mail flood detected.

Why, yes, I WAS quite aware of those... :)

Recipient systems don't have a whole lot of incentive to provide those codes because they correctly believe that most senders will ignore them, and some
senders will use them to try to game their filters.

It is an academic issue at this point, IMHO, but I believe that the fear of senders 'gaming' filters is not justified by evidence with volume, at least not in modern times. It is very annoying to witness when it happens, but the senders who try are not those who send a lot of wanted mail, so simpler cheaper tactics make sense.

I believe it is mostly an academic issue at this point because I don't see any real hope of MS/Google/Oath/GMX/etc. and Sendgrid/Constant Contact/MailChimp/Epsilon all agreeing on the precise meanings and proper reactions to extended reply codes. I don't see how doing better on either side would make sense to the relevant parties by a strict cost-benefit analysis. It is also complicated in theory by the privacy law implications others have pointed out, and it is always cheaper to keep doing what has always been good enough than to consult lawyers on how you can do better without legal trouble.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire