We were having a discussion on the possibility to disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1 for MTA to MTA communication, and based on the numbers we've seen so far, it doesn't look that far fetched. And what about PLAIN - do you still allow that as the fallback option or are you also considering disabling that?

Hardening your MTA's TLS configuration and potentially causing TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1 clients to fall back to plaintext is counterproductive. The first step should really be disabling plaintext.

In parallel to that, if there's a wish to enforce good TLS, how's your MTA-STS support? Both incoming and outgoing?

It's already been disabled for our customers towards fx. imap and smtp, and we all agree those pesky old versions should be phased out, sooner rather than later, but have you also disabled it for MTA to MTA communication as well or are you still considering it? And what scenarios are currently holding you back?

In theory that's nice, MUAs do tend to be more up-to-date and there might be downgrade attacks that this would prevent. *But...*

There's no MUA-STS, most clients are relatively trivially downgrade-able (hopefully with /some/ user interaction, but pestering the user tends to work). So does that hardening actually help or potentially force some old printers (etc.) to stop working or require a plaintext proxy?

[...] pesky old versions should be phased out, sooner rather than later [...]

Pesky old versions, what about "new" versions? Do you support TLSv1.3?

Lastly, RFC8314 (re)defines port 465 as implicit TLS SMTP submission port. Implicit TLS is considered a significantly better approach than upgrading connections. Do you support that?

Wishing you a good day,
Taavi